1. Terms Of Trade
1a. Gaskell Custom Left Handed Guitars is an Australian company. We are located in Sydney, New South Wales. We are a custom manufacturer of left handed electric guitars and bass guitars. All decisions pertaining to company policy are made in Australia.
1b. Gaskell Custom Left Handed Guitars conducts itself in accordance with business practices deemed ethical and usual in accordance with Australian State and Federal (Commonwealth) legislation, New South Wales Office of Fair Trading, Australian Securities and Investments Commission, and the Australian Taxation Office.
1c. All Gaskell left handed guitars and bass guitars are built from scratch at our workshop in Sydney, Australia.
1d. Materials, components, raw materials, processes and services are sourced locally and internationally. Many products and components from third party manufacturers are included in the building of a custom guitar. Materials and components may originate from Australia, United States Of America, United Kingdom, Germany, Fiji, Brazil, Africa, India, and elsewhere.
1e. Per the Australian Trade Practices Act (1974) we reserve the right to choose to do business with and may refuse to do business with any person appearing to be ill-intentioned, unethical or criminally inclined, and/or not of sound mind. Similar Trade practice Law exists in other countries to protect businesses from scammers, spammers and criminal elements.
2. Customs Charges, Duty, Import Taxes, and Local Fees
2a. International customers (those outside of Australia) please be aware that when you purchase products from outside your country your local government or Customs Agency may charge you “duty charges”, “import tax”, “VAT”, “Customs fees”, “GST” or any other domestic charges upon receipt of your item. Each country has it’s own rates and charges and/or threshold. Please consult your local government or Customs Agency for this information. We have no control over this process. It is the buyer’s responsibility to be prepared for and knowledgeable about local charges, if any.
2b. Gaskell Custom Left Handed Guitars will not be held accountable or responsible for any domestic and/or local fees charged by a foreign government.
2c. Gaskell Custom Left Handed Guitars will always inform international customers of the possibility of their local government charging them further fees and to expect this as a possibility. There are ways to reduce these costs and this something that will be discussed and agreed upon before shipment costs are paid for.
2d. We recommend that customers take insurance to the exact value of their purchased instrument on shipments from Australia to a foreign country. This typically costs between $100-$150 depending on the value of the instrument. This is additional to the cost of shipping.
2e. Australian Goods and Services Tax (GST) is not applicable to the price of any instrument bought by an international purchaser. However shipping costs do retain 10% GST and is always included in the price charged.
3a. Guitars are made of wood. Wood expands and contracts and reacts with temperature changes. As seasons change it is possible that your new guitar will change by itself and may need to be readjusted once or twice until it “settles down.” Additionally, Australia is located in the Southern Hemisphere which means our seasons are in reverse of the rest of the world. For example, our summers can regularly reach over 40° C (104° F) while at the same time the rest of the world may be experiencing winters of -5° C (23° F) for example. Physically going from one temperature extreme to another in a short amount of time may cause changes to your instrument.
3b. If after arrival your guitar develops any immediate playability issues such as buzzing strings, incorrect neck angle or a released truss rod please recognize that environmental conditions are in play. It is not the build quality or a setup issue. These environmental changes are easily resolved. Simply contact Gaskell Custom Left Handed Guitars directly for some assistance to quickly reset your guitar for proper playability. Usually this involves a minor truss rod adjustment or occasionally a bridge height adjustment. In most cases this can be done by the person themselves. Proceed under instructions from a Gaskell professional to resolve any issue. Mother Nature is not something we can control. Please do not expect it from us.
4. Payment Methods
4a. We accept payments by cash, Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT), International Bank Transfer (IBT.)
4b. We no longer accept Paypal.
4c. All payments are requested in Australian dollars.
5. Currency Exchange Rates
5a.In recent times international customers have been fortunate to be able to take advantage of our weakened Australian dollar resulting in favourable exchange rates and incredible pricing for Gaskell products.
5b. Unless otherwise stated all costs listed on this website are listed in Australian dollars. In round figures (2016) AU$ 1000 equates to US$ 700, EUR 640, and GBP 490. Rates do fluctuate. Please ensure you use a currency converter such as www.xe.com to determine current exchange rates for any payments.
6a. Any deposit payments made on custom ordered guitars are not refundable if the customer later decides to not go through with their commitment after the build has been started.
6b. If a build has not been started and a deposit has been paid and the customer requests their deposit back we will refund their deposit.
7. Returns Policy
Gaskell custom-built instruments are made-to-order, exactly per customer specifications. Finished products are not eligible for return and refund if the customer’s expectations of their completed product differ from their vision, despite the instrument being made exactly to the customer’s specifications. If there truly is a disparity between specifics for the build and the finished product Gaskell will cooperate fully and work closely to determine the best outcome for the specific circumstance. Mutual cooperation is the key to progress in resolving issues and it is always the intention in any communication exchange to resolve issues to the satisfaction of all parties.
The following important notes specifically apply to returns:
- No return will be accepted for any other reason than what is stated herein, unless by special arrangement.
- Returns are determined in close accordance with Gaskell Custom Left Handed Guitars warranty conditions. All customers are to have read and understood the warranty and this policy before committing to purchasing a Gaskell custom guitar.
- Any hardware failures or electronics failures will be first dealt with as a warranty issue. Failures of third party components do not automatically justify a return of the product. If you are in Australia we may request you send your guitar for repair to our workshop and we will reimburse transport costs. If you are outside of Australia we will organize a luthier or repairer close to you to do the repair with any costs either paid by Gaskell Guitars directly to the repairer or reimbursed to the owner of the guitar. Under no circumstances are any repairs or actions to be undertaken by the customer prior to a course of action being agreed upon and approved by Gaskell Guitars to resolve the stated issue. Failure to follow this condition will automatically void all future warranty on the part(s) or component(s) in question.
- Variations in colour may occur in final products as computer monitors do vary in colour palette, brightness and resolution. We do everything possible to ensure the colour specified for any build is exactly what the customer envisioned however if the colour is slightly different upon completion this is not an acceptable reason for a return. Obviously if the customer wanted a black guitar and got a red guitar this is an undeniable reason for a return.
- DAMAGE. If a newly built guitar or bass arrives to the customer with damage which has occurred during transport there is a process which must be followed with the transport company and with insurance companies in order to recover costs. Customers are asked to work with Gaskell Guitars and cooperate fully to help expedite this process successfully. If your guitar arrives damaged immediately contact us directly and if possible send photos of all damage. If damage is minor such as a selector switch cap breaking off, or a wire coming off because of a bumpy journey Gaskell Guitars will fully reimburse any costs to have these replaced or repaired locally or where possible will send a replacement part. No action is to be taken by the customer without first coordinating with Gaskell Guitars directly. If any action is taken by the customer ahead of these steps then the instrument’s warranty is instantly voided and this policy is rescinded with all subsequent costs deferred to the customer.
- Guitars whose setups have changed due to environmental changes (as covered above) are not returnable for this reason alone. Simple adjustments can be made to correct an instrument that has physically travelled from one temperature extreme to another and has changed as a result. Instructions will be given as to how to correct your instrument’s setup.
- Gaskell custom-built instruments may under no circumstances be returned if the customer merely “changes their mind” after their guitar has been made and sent.
- Any intangible or subjective reasons for a return that are outside the scope of warranty, and outside the scope of the build specifications will not be accepted as a reason for returning an item. This includes “reasons” which stem from lack of knowledge such as “the guitar seems too light/too heavy to be made of ______ wood…” or “I didn’t realize the frets would be so fat…”, “these pickups don’t sound like what I thought they would sound like”, etc. You, the purchaser, are responsible for adequately understanding what it is you are buying.
- As Gaskell instruments are not “off the shelf” products there is no provision for having an instrument built just to “try it out” and then return it afterwards. Gaskell guitars and basses are not store-bought items.
- In the event of any customer using blatant untruths or creating imaginary problems about the condition or state of the received product as a smoke screen for the fact that the customer has merely changed their mind and/or is trying to return the product for no reason, all warranty criteria are instantly null and void and the right to return the product is rescinded. Gaskell Guitars reserves the right to determine whether this is the case and proceed accordingly. In the event of blackmail being resorted to such as threatening to publish “negative reviews” in any media or Social Media this may be considered as grounds for legal action against the perpetrator for libel and/or defamation. Appropriate counter-actions using the same media may be taken to discredit the author and any falsely generated “negative review.” No refund is possible in these circumstances and no future business may ever be repeated with said person.
© Gaskell Guitars (Australia) 2006-2016 Latest revision 02/01/16